POSITION: Seed Systems Specialist
IITA-TZ-2020 – R4D-001 -NRS-DSM
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) on behalf of the International Rice Research Institute CIRRI) invites applications for the position of Seed Systems Specialist.
IRRI develops and promotes new rice technologies such as high yielding varieties, climate and stress resilient varieties and technologies that offer the promise of increased productivity with optimum resources and hence ensure the welfare of farmers. There is a need to scale up the adoption of these varieties /technologies for better impacts. Tanzanian national program has released many rice cultivars, but the adoption is very low. Farmer-to farmer exchange of seeds is considered to be the main mechanism for the widespread dissemination of varieties. The dimension of farming system has changed in terms of the preference of the farmers, use of mechanized agriculture, men moving out for work and women holding the charge for farming. It’s important to conduct research that can suggest interventions to improve the awareness creation, demand creation, adoption and impact of new varieties. It is also important to compare and find the pros and cons of different delivery/extension approaches for dissemination of these varieties and research around this also needs to be strengthened. Under the minimum supervision of Senior Scientist I – Plant Breeding, this position will work around, strengthening seed systems and extension research, promoting rural innovation, partnership and liaisoning, monitoring and evaluation of seed systems’ development. Monitor the strategic collaboration around seed systems and extension research, conceptualize, design and execute research with the aim of evaluating the ongoing seed systems activities across different key project sites in Tanzania and strengthen the same; and interact vigorously with the regional team in relevant activities.
Duty Station: The position will be based Morogoro, Tanzania
Criteria for Success / Qualifications
- Master’s degree in Agriculture/Rural management/Agri business/Rural development with minimum 5 years or relevant work experience around social sciences, rural livelihoods , sustainable agriculture/development and project management
- PhD in Agriculture/Rural management/Agri business/Rural development with minimum 3 years or relevant work experience around social sciences, rural livelihoods, sustainable agriculture/development and project management and gender
Skills and knowledge mandatory
- Knowledge and extensive experience in the field of social science, business planning, rural development, agri and allied subjects
- Strong oral and written communication skills and scientific documentary skills
- Strong organization and interpersonal skills
- Experience in working with government stakeholders (Ministries, nationals partners)
- Experience in extensively working with and managing partners
- Experience with gender and rural development approaches
- Experience in data analysis and statistical tools like SPSS/STATA, research designer software like Survey Be/ODK/CSPRO etc
- Working experience in social science, development research, rural development and applied economics
- Work experience with international organizations and area of international development
- Good understanding of rural livelihood systems
- To Monitor and manage the strategic collaboration around seed systems and extension research, conceptualize, design, execute collaborative research to evaluate, improve or strengthen varietal ad quality seed demand creation approaches across various project sites in Tanzania
- To Promote, manage various rural development and innovation models around extension/seed system/climate smart technologies engaging various institutions, change agents and stakeholders
- Lead development of gender- and market-responsive seed systems interventions and extension approaches for enhancing livelihoods, including demonstration of new varieties to generate demand and capacity building of local institutions.
- Lead development of approaches for promoting seed entrepreneurship amongst women and youth and their collectives
- Design, manage and monitor research activities including necessary protocols, research tools, data collection, analysis and interpretation
- Establish and promote strategic partnership, innovation forums and partner management for key projects.
- Coordinate research with NARES/ Govt and Non Govt extension agencies, and private sector partners for strengthening seed systems and extension research and new approaches in seed and delivery systems
- Manage partners, facilitators, enumerators for executing surveys and various research-oriented interventions
- Lead coordination with NGOs, Community based institutions (CBOs), women’s groups for innovation in extension approaches, gender responsive interventions and piloting seed entrepreneurship models
- Engage with Knowledge agencies, training institutions and experts for stakeholder capacity building and strengthening partnership
- Monitor and manage field technical staff for strengthening outreach programs, monitoring, evaluation, action research and experiments
- Strategic Partnership and Collaboration managed and established for research and development activities
- Research studies designed, managed, analyzed and interpreted
- Documentation of research findings including data collection, analyses and reporting, measured outcomes, impacts
- Technical literature and publication in scientist journals/websites
- Knowledge and communication products including website, blogs, newsletters, etc
- Various extension models and interventions for farmers, women farmers and key stakeholders monitored and evaluated
- Develop concept notes and projects for funding or technical collaborations for research and development jointly with relevant IRRI staff
- Develop and contribute towards documentary outputs like knowledge products and research document/ publications/scientific writing/policy briefs.
The duration of contract for the position is two years. This is a nationally recruited position and IITA offers a competitive remuneration package.
Applications including curriculum vitae, copies of certificates, telephone number, email address, and names and addresses of two referees should be sent to the Country Representative, IITA-Tanzania, Plot No. 25, Mwenge – Coca-Cola Road, Mikocheni Industrial Area P.O. Box 34441, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania or by email to IITA-Tanzania@cgiar.org
Applicants are requested to please indicate the reference number for the position as indicated on the heading of the announcement in your application as well as on the subject of your email if sending by email. If sending by post or hand delivery, please indicate the reference number on your application as well as on the left-hand side of your envelope. Please note that any applications without the reference number indicated will be automatically disqualified.
Closing date: 22 February, 2020. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.